Advanced Care Planning – Start Sooner Than Later
We know it’s not an easy conversation to have, but it will give you and your family peace of mind to know that there is a plan in place for your future healthcare needs, should you ever need it.
Advanced Care Planning is about planning ahead for your health and medical needs, in the event that you may not be in a position to make choices for yourself. This may happen at the end of your life or if you become seriously ill or injured.
We encourage all our clients in Victor Harbor to start the conversation with their families or us, about advanced care planning. Your family and friends will be relieved to know they can carry out your care in the way you want, and you’ll know that you’ll be cared for as if you were making all your own decisions at this time.
Once you’ve decided what goes into your Advanced Care Plan, this becomes a formal Advanced Care Directive with an appointed substitute decision maker who has the role of looking after your care needs.
This 2-minute video by Advanced Care Planning Australia describes your choices and options – “Be open, be ready, be heard.”
Why now is a good time to start Advanced Care Planning
Starting the conversation sooner than later will help everyone (formal and informal carers) involved in your care, today and in the future.
- Everyone will be on the same page when it comes to your care, delivering the care that you want and how you want it.
- Your family and friends have far less stress as you have planned ahead and made your own decisions, freeing them up to care for you the way you want.
- The details of end of life care have already been arranged and you’ll have peace of mind knowing you are prepared.
- Healthcare professionals can come to agreement much more efficiently, reducing the risk of unwanted or unnecessary treatments.
Without an Advanced Care Plan or Directive, we have seen families frustrated by having to make medical decisions on behalf of their loved one, not really knowing if their loved one would have wanted the decisions they have to make. We’ve seen families who are already feeling grief about their loved one, pressured into making decisions they may not be ready for.
Sometimes families are not quite ready to have the conversation about end pf life help which is understandable.Advanced Care Planning Australia have a video on the subject which will ease the way for the conversation to begin.
Advanced care planning resources
Advanced Care Planning Australia have free webinars to help you understand what’s involved in arranging future care and what you need to prepare. You’ll also find webinars addressing the specific needs of people with cancer or dementia.
Visit https://www.advancecareplanning.org.au/acpweek for more information.
Free Advanced Care Plan and Advanced Care Directive
You can download Advanced Care Plan and Advanced Care Directive forms specific to South Australia here.
An Advanced Care Plan can become a legally binding Advanced Care Directive which allows you to:
- Confirm instructions for your future medical treatment – specifically for treatment you refuse and accept.
- Write down your preferences and values for medical treatments and care approach.
- Appoint a substitute decision maker who will make healthcare decisions on your behalf.
Who is advanced care planning for?
Everyone should consider an advance care plan, regardless of age or health. You do not have to have a terminal illness to start talking about your wishes. Just like creating a will, an advance care plan will minimise stress for your family. Therefore it’s a good idea to have it in place before a situation becomes urgent and medical decisions are taken out of your control.
An advanced care plan is especially important if:
- You have a chronic illness
- You have multiple diseases
- You have some cognitive impairment
- You are approaching the end of your life
Contact St Louis Aged Care in Victor Harbor about Advanced Care Planning
At St Louis Aged Care, we embrace cultural diversity and the spiritual or religious needs for the future care of our residents and home care clients. We will help you start the conversation with your family for advanced care planning, with your preferences and spiritual or cultural needs in place.
Please give us a call at our Victor Harbor office on 08 8552 1481 and have a chat with us about how you can add an Advanced Care Plan to your consumer support plan. Or you an also visit Advanced Care Planning Australia for more information.